I’m a little ambivalent about Gwyneth Paltrow, but I’m really starting to love her mum. These gorgeous cookies are a creation of Gwyneth Paltow’s mother and they feature in her cookbook My Father’s Daughter. They’re all the the things you would expect of a Gwyneth Paltrow recipe…sugar free, nutritious and healthy, but what suprised me was that they actually tasted like real cookies! So many sugar free recipes have a strange texture and taste, but these are just lovely.
The recipe is everywhere online if you google Lalo’s Cookies. I quarter the recipe because there’s no need for such a huge quantity of biscuits in my house, and they do start to soften after a day and lose their crunchiness. I am very fortunate to be in supply of lovely homemade jam from an aunty so I use real jam in the recipe which makes them extra special. I think little carob buds would be great also.
Lalo’s Cookies (Recipe Quartered)
1 cup barley flour
3/4 cup raw whole almonds crushed in a food processor (about ten 2-second pulses)
1/4 teaspoon fine salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup real maple syrup
Your favourite jam
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Combine all the ingredients except for the jam together in a large bowl with a wooden spoon.
- Form into tablespoonful balls and space them evenly on cookie sheets.
- Using your index finger, make an indent in each cookie. Fill each indent with a small spoonful of jam.
- Bake until the cookies are evenly browned, about 15 or so minutes.
- Let cool before eating.